News in brief: Emergency repairs

Jan 2017

During the holiday season tenants should ensure they know who to contact if they can’t reach the property manager or owner for emergency repairs. The contact details of a nominated emergency repairer should be listed on the tenancy agreement.

If an emergency repair is needed and the tenant is unable to contact the property manager/owner or the nominated repairer, the tenant may arrange for a suitably qualified person to carry out the emergency repairs up to the value of 2 weeks rent.

Examples of emergency repairs include a burst water service or a serious water service leak, a blocked or broken toilet, a gas leak, a breakdown of the gas, electricity, water supply or other essential service. Check the RTA website or call 1300 366 311 for the full list of emergency repairs.

The property manager/owner must reimburse the tenant for the cost of repairs within 7 days of receiving a copy of the receipt. If the property manager/owner does not comply, the tenant can apply to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) for an order about the reimbursement.