Friends as tenants

Winter 2017

Friends who decide to move in together and share a rental property should get to know their potential housemate’s domestic habits to help avoid a messy falling out and untangling a share house agreement.

A friend’s differing habits and lifestyle could lead to disputes over who should leave, making things complicated depending on the rental arrangement.

Good friends don’t necessarily make good housemates, and it may not be until you move into a property that you realise there is a problem. This can leave you with the potential issue of leaving a share housing arrangement, which can come in a number of different forms.

Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) CEO, Darren Barlow, said there were 3 types of share housing:

  • co-tenancies
  • multiple individual tenancies, and
  • sub-letting.

"Each of these models have different structures of responsibility which could get complicated in the event of a dispute," he said.

"In the event of a dispute, the RTA can provide advice via our tenancy hotline or facilitate agreement through our free dispute resolution service."

More information is available by contacting the RTA direct on 1300 366 311.

The RTA is the Queensland Government statutory authority that administers the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008. They provide tenancy information, bond management, dispute resolution, investigation, and policy and education services.