Rooming accommodation forms fact sheet

The RTA has prepared a range of forms to help providers/agents and residents meet their responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (the Act). These forms are specifically for rooming accommodation such as boarding houses, hostels, off campus student accommodation and other rooming style accommodation covered by the Act in Queensland.

Form name What to use
Condition report – Rooming accommodation
(Form R1)
If a rental bond is required or has been paid, the provider/agent must fill in this form to record the details of the condition of the resident’s room at the start of a Rooming accommodation agreement (Form R18). It must be signed by both parties and a copy given to the resident. It can be used as evidence of the condition of the room.
Bond lodgement
(Form 2)
The provider/agent must use this form to lodge a rental bond with the RTA.

If a part-­payment or instalment of a bond is being lodged with the RTA, this form must also be used to accompany the payment.
Change of rental property
(Form 3)
A bond can be transferred from one agreement to another, with the permission of the previous and new providers/agents. It can also be used where the resident changes rooms within a rental premises. This form lets the RTA know current details for the bond.
Refund of rental bond
(Form 4)
A rental bond can only be released after the RTA receives this form. It allows the resident and the provider/agent to claim all or part of the bond after the end of the agreement.
Change of property manager/owner
(Form 5)
This form advises the RTA where there has been a change in provider/agent of rooming accommodation for the purpose of checking signatures where a rental bond is being held by the RTA.
Change of bond contributors
(Form 6)
This form advises the RTA there has been a change in the residents who have contributed to the bond under the Rooming accommodation agreement (Form R18).
Signature record
(Form 8)
This form advises the RTA of changes (additions or deletions) to the list of people and signatures authorised by the provider/agent to claim bonds held by the RTA.
Entry notice – Rooming accommodation
(Form R9)
This form can be used to give the notice required under the Act where a provider/agent intends to enter a resident’s room.
Notice to remedy breach – Rooming accommodation
(Form R11)
This form is used by residents or providers/agents to notify the other party that there has been an alleged breach of the agreement.
Notice to leave – Rooming accommodation
(Form R12)
Where the provider/agent wants to end the agreement and requires the resident to leave the premises, they must give the resident written notice outlining the reasons and the date they must leave by.
Resident leaving form – Rooming accommodation
(Form R13)
This is used by the resident to advise the provider/agent that they are leaving and want to end the Rooming accommodation agreement (Form R18).
Dispute resolution request
(Form 16)
Providers/agents or residents wanting the RTA’s dispute resolution service to help them resolve an accommodation dispute must lodge one of these forms with the RTA.
Rooming accommodation agreement
(Form R18)
At the commencement of every new agreement, a provider/agent must complete a Rooming accommodation agreement (Form R18) with the new resident. Both parties are to sign and keep a copy of the agreement.
Notice to vacate from mortgagee to resident/s – Rooming accommodation
(Form R19)
This form is used to tell the resident that they have to leave the premises because a mortgagee (such as a bank or financial institution) is going to take possession of the premises from the owner.

Must you use RTA forms?

These forms were produced by the RTA to help providers and residents meet their obligations under the Act. In most instances, the Act specifies where an approved form must be used. Therefore the RTA strongly advises that, where possible, the approved form be used. However, if you cannot obtain a copy of a form when an approved form is needed, the Acts Interpretation Act 1954 allows for a person to use their own forms provided they are substantially the same as the approved form.

Further information

For more information contact the Residential Tenancies Authority on 1300 366 311.

Accessing RTA forms

The RTA’s forms can be obtained electronically or in person by:

  • 1300 366 311
  • Level 23, 179 Turbot St Brisbane

 Interpreter symbol

If you need interpreting assistance to help you understand this information, contact TIS on 13 14 50 (for the cost of a local call) and ask to speak to the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA).

410 – v7 Jul16

Rooming accommodation forms fact sheet
Download MS Word (256KB)
Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reson