Applying for dispute resolution

The RTA’s free dispute resolution service helps tenants/residents and property owners/managers to resolve disputes quickly without the need for your matter to go to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT).

Before you apply for dispute resolution:

  • read our tips on how to resolve tenancy issues and contact the other person to try and negotiate an agreement.
  • contact us for further assistance and practical tips relevant to your situation.

Callers with complex tenancy situations who require additional support to resolve their own tenancy issues are assessed for transfer to our Client Support service for assistance with self-resolution strategies.

How dispute resolution can help you resolve your dispute

Our trained conciliators can help you negotiate a resolution with the other person.

RTA conciliators are impartial and cannot instruct people what to do, nor can they make decisions.

It is important for everyone to fully understand their individual rights and responsibilities.

We can provide tenancy law information and help you understand how that law relates to your particular situation and suggest practical solutions to help you make informed decisions.

The RTA’s dispute resolution service gives you the opportunity to have your say and have control over the outcome.

If you choose to take your matter to QCAT an adjudicator will make a decision and you will not have any control over the outcome.

To apply for dispute resolution, fill out a Dispute resolution request (Form 16) and send it to the RTA along with a summary of the situation and relevant supporting documents, such as a rent ledger or a Notice to remedy breach (Form 11 or Form R11 for rooming accommodation).

The dispute resolution process

RTA conciliation is conducted in one of three ways:

  • three-way telephone conference
  • telephone shuttle: where RTA conciliators hold separate telephone conversations with each disputing person
  • face-to-face conciliation

The conciliator will choose the best way to deal with the dispute depending on the circumstances.

Fast facts

  • To use the RTA's dispute resolution service, fill out and lodge a Dispute resolution request (Form 16) by post, fax, email or hand delivery.
  • You must lodge a Dispute resolution request before applying to QCAT (except in urgent cases).
  • If you reach an agreement during the dispute resolution process, this can be put in writing and is enforceable.
  • Participation in the service is voluntary and confidential.
  • If a bond dispute is resolved, the conciliator will get all relevant people to sign the Refund of rental bond (Form 4), and the bond will be paid out according to the agreement.
  • If the dispute is not resolved, the RTA will issue a Notice of unresolved dispute to the person who lodged the Dispute resolution request. This notice must be used to apply to QCAT for a decision.
  • There are time limits you need to follow when applying to QCAT.
  • In urgent situations the tenant/resident or property manager/owner can apply directly to QCAT without first lodging a Dispute resolution request with the RTA.
  • The RTA does not conciliate issues between neighbours and co-tenants, or disputes between agents and lessors.
  • Certain matters are unsuitable for conciliation.