Moveable dwelling agreement

A Moveable dwelling tenancy agreement (Form 18b) is for tenants in caravan parks. It applies if they are renting a caravan, a manufactured home or a caravan site.

This agreement is not used for people staying at a caravan park for a holiday.

There are 2 types of moveable dwelling agreements:
Short term: up to 42 days (6 weeks)
Long term: longer than 42 days

Short term agreements

  • A written agreement is not required but highly recommended.
  • There is no official form but any agreement must be in writing and state the tenant will not stay longer than 42 days (e.g. a letter stating the rent and start and end dates).
  • The tenant must be given a copy of the park rules and a copy of the Pocket guide for tenants - caravan parks (Form 17b).
  • The tenant may also be given an Entry condition report for moveable dwelling/site (Form 1b) to complete.
  • At the end of the 42-day period, the tenant can move out, sign a long-term tenancy agreement or extend for a second (up to 42 days) short term by signing an extension to the agreement.
  • A short term agreement can only be extended once. After that the tenant must move to a long term agreement or move out.
  • The property manager/owner cannot pressure the tenant into signing a short term extension agreement instead of a long term agreement.

Long term agreements

  • A written agreement (also known as a lease) is required for long term agreements.
  • The Moveable dwelling tenancy agreement must be used.
  • It must include:
    • name and address of the tenant and the property manager/owner
    • start and end dates of the agreement (or state if it is periodic)
    • the rent and how it should be paid (e.g. direct deposit)
    • services that must be paid for (e.g. gas, electricity, sewerage, water)
    • standard terms – what the tenant and manager/owner can and cannot do
    • special terms (e.g. if pets may be kept)
  • The property manager/owner pays for the cost of preparing the agreement.
  • A bond does not have to be taken but if it is it must be lodged with the RTA within 10 days. The maximum bond is 2 weeks rent, unless electricity is individually metered to the caravan and the bill is in the property manager/owner's name (then it can be 3 weeks rent).
  • There can only be one bond: no separate bonds can be taken for pets or security.
  • If a bond is charged, an Entry condition report – moveable dwellings/site must be completed.
Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reson