Rooming accommodation agreement

The Rooming accommodation agreement (Form R18) is for a tenant renting a room.

Rooming accommodation includes:

  • boarding houses
  • supported accommodation services where a person pays for a room and support services (e.g. meals and/or personal care)
  • certain types of student accommodation, and
  • a house where rooms are rented (e.g. where the owner lives in the house and rents rooms to other people)

The agreement is a legally binding written contract that outlines the rights and responsibilities of a tenant and property manager/owner. Special terms can be added if the property manager/owner and tenant agree.

The agreement should be written in a clear way and the property manager/owner must pay for the cost of preparing it.

The agreement must include:

  • the room that can be occupied and what common areas can be used
  • start and end dates of the agreement (or state if it is periodic)
  • house rules
  • the rent and any other costs (e.g. food, personal care, or other services)
  • how rent should be paid (e.g. direct deposit)
  • standard terms – what the tenant and manager/owner can and cannot do
  • any special terms (e.g. if pets may be kept)
  • if a bond is to be charged

Rental bond

A bond does not have to be taken but if it is it must be lodged with the RTA within 10 days using the Online Bond Lodgement facility. If the rent is $500 or less per week, the maximum bond that can be charged is 4 times the weekly rent. If the rent is more than $500 per week, there is no bond limit.

A Condition report (Form R1) must be completed if a bond is taken.

Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reson