Refund of rental bond (Form 4)

Bond refund requests are made to the RTA using the Refund of rental bond.

This form should be completed when the tenancy agreement has ended. The RTA cannot accept this form before the expiry date of the appropriate notice - Notice to leave (Form 12), Notice of intention to leave (Form 13) or Abandonment termination notice (Form 15).

Refunds are only paid into Australian bank accounts (no cheques).

Until 30 September 2021, tenants experiencing domestic and family violence can end their interest in a tenancy quickly and apply to the RTA for their part of the bond to be refunded using this form. Tenants will also need to provide evidence (e.g. a notice to end the tenancy and a Domestic and family violence report) with their Bond refund form. Contact the RTA on 1300 366 311 for further assistance in this process (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.00pm, excluding public holidays). Learn more.

Filling out the form

All relevant fields need to be completed to avoid processing delays. The tenant should include their forwarding address on the form.

Important: If you need urgent help to complete a bond refund form, please call RTA on 1300 366 311 and we'll help you.

Bond loan

Where a bond loan is still outstanding, the loan balance will be deducted from the tenant’s refund amount and paid directly to the Department of Communities, Housing and Digital Economy.


  • do not use correction fluid
  • everyone must sign any alteration to bond amounts (full signatures are required)

Lodging the form

Only original, signed forms should be submitted to the RTA. Emailed or photocopied forms will not be accepted.

Any person knowingly submitting false or misleading details on the refund form is committing an offence under Queensland law.

Important: If you are unable to use RTA Web Services or post and you need urgent help to submit a bond refund form, please call RTA on 1300 366 311 and we'll help you.

Form 4 – Refund of rental bond
Download(PDF 89KB)
Current version: v7 Jun21
Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reson