Share homes and co-tenancies

The property manager/owner must give permission for everyone living at a rental property, even if they are not listed on the tenancy agreement as a tenant.


When two (2) or more people are named as tenants on a tenancy agreement they are known as co-tenants. You may also be a co-tenant if you replace someone who left a co-tenancy agreement. Co-tenants can be jointly, or individually, liable for all the rent.

Changing tenants

If a co-tenant leaves during the tenancy, they will need to get their share of the bond from the tenant moving in, or those remaining. They must also complete a Change of bond contributors (Form 6), and lodge it with the RTA. If all the tenants move out they need to complete a Refund of rental bond (Form 4).


All bonds must be lodged with the RTA using the Online Bond lodgement facility, even when sub-letting or in boarder or lodger situations, failure to do so is an offence. All bond contributors must be listed on the form along with the amount paid.

Anyone receiving a bond must give a receipt to the person who pays the bond to them. This could be the property manager/owner or head-tenant.

Leaving the property

Before leaving a share home, tenants/co-tenants should pay their share of any costs for cleaning, damage or unpaid rent. Co-tenants can be jointly or individually responsible for the full cost of compensation owed to the property manager/owner if the tenancy agreement is breached.

Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reson